Welcome to the Island

"I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord,

Over mountain or plain or sea;

I'll say what you want me to say, dear Lord,

I'll be what you want me to be."

This Christmas is for everyone.....

Friday, October 5, 2012

Relief Society Social
A while back the Relief Society in Kiritimati Branch had a special opportunity to learn how to make virgin coconut oil from an amazing woman visiting here from Tarawa. There was a really good attendance out back in the mwaneaba (big hut). We had lots of coconuts gathered into a pile ready to be cracked open (that is an art by the way). There were several women set to work grinding the pulp into the big clean bowls. The next step is to place the shredded pulp into the center of clean dry cloths, wrap them tight and start squeezing the oil into another big clean bowl. I'll tell you what, that squeezing is a hard job! Next they heat the oil over a slow heat, stirring the whole time. I left about that time so the secret of making virgin coconut oil is still just that.....a secret!!!  Had you going there, didn't I!! It is really great stuff.  It is used to soften skin, and condition their beautiful long hair.  Personally I think you could put a sparkling shine on shoes, fancy up the tires on your new car, polish the surface of your desk, make your pots shine, cure chapped lips, soften the bottom of your callused feet, your pointed elbows, the and those rough knees. No kidding, it is really great stuff and it smells so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment